Name:
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States

My wife Sandi and I are full-time RVers, and Workampers, employed at Adventureland amusement park in Des Moines Iowa, where I have worked for the last 20 years, and am currently a manager in the rides department. I also am a facilitator for one of the weekly Bible studies held for the employees there. I also teach a Bible Study in our home at our winter location in Mesa, Arizona. In addition to writing this blog, I am the author of a book entitled "Going Forth in the Name, an RVer's Guide to Living the Christian Life." I am a retired Police Sergeant of 25 years experience. MY book called "Going Forth in the Name" It is about living the Christian life, and staying connected to the Body of Christ while traveling as a full-time RVer.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Better Than the Alternative?

I’ve heard it. You’ve heard it. I can’t remember, but maybe I’ve said it myself. Maybe you’ve said it too. It is especially frequent among us seniors. You ask someone how they feel, or how they’re doing, and you get a short (or sometimes not so short) report about aches and pains and other recent ailments, then comes the declaration "but I guess it’s better than the alternative."

I have always thought that this declaration, and the other related saying: "any day that I wake up on this side of the grass is a good day!", are a bit out of place when coming from a Christian. Most of the time we say these things just out of habit, and to get a bit of a chuckle, and perhaps to remind ourselves and those we are talking to that it is indeed good to be alive. Recently, however, I had a co-worker say this to me, and I replied "I’m not so sure about that!" The fellow was taken aback, and almost seemed to be insulted. It was, unfortunately, one of those situations when I was unable to stick around and explain what I meant, so I had to leave him in his puzzlement at my response. Perhaps the Holy Spirit will explain it to him.

I love this life as much as anyone here. Anyone who has ever been around me knows that. I have never been suicidal, or anything like that. Yet for the believer in Jesus Christ, this life is NOT better than the alternative! Paul told us:

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
and no mind has imagined
what God has prepared
for those who love him."
(1 Corinthians 2:9, NLT)

Another time he said:
"Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later."
(Romans 8:18, NLT)

And certainly, for those of us who are in Christ, it should be easy, rather than difficult, to identify with these words:

"I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live." (Philippians 1:23-24, NLT)

Like Paul, I realize that I am here for one reason, and this one reason alone; that God has some thing that He wants to accomplish with my life. And when He decides to take me home, I have no fear of "the alternative" for He Himself has promised that not only is it going to be far better than this life, but far better than anything I am able to imagine. Better than the alternative? I think not!

How often we hear these expressions of "better than the alternative", and how often this simple declaration with it’s humorous intent gives us the opportunity to declare to the world our hope that the alternative for us is indeed God’s better life that He has prepared for us.

As Peter said:

"if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it."
(1Peter 3:15)

Thanks for sharing this moment with me today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Glenn,, lots of great scriptures !!!!! Keep writting..
b&k j

8/02/2008 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home