Name:
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States

My wife Sandi and I are full-time RVers, and Workampers, employed at Adventureland amusement park in Des Moines Iowa, where I have worked for the last 20 years, and am currently a manager in the rides department. I also am a facilitator for one of the weekly Bible studies held for the employees there. I also teach a Bible Study in our home at our winter location in Mesa, Arizona. In addition to writing this blog, I am the author of a book entitled "Going Forth in the Name, an RVer's Guide to Living the Christian Life." I am a retired Police Sergeant of 25 years experience. MY book called "Going Forth in the Name" It is about living the Christian life, and staying connected to the Body of Christ while traveling as a full-time RVer.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"It is finished!"

I could scarcely believe my own ears, as I cautiously uttered those words. (Actually, I think I said something like; "I think I’m done!) First to Karen Gregory, then to her husband, Jack, and then to Bobby Johnson, as I worked my way around the park. Of course, it is only really "virtually finished", that is, the "rough draft" version, but none the less, I believe that I have all the contents written for "Going Forth in The Name".

Jack went ahead and announced it to the Congregation last Sunday. I think that added a finality to it all. The work that has been in progress since 2003 or 2004 (I can’t really remember, to tell you the truth) will soon be on it’s way to the world. Granted, there is still much to be done. There is a lot of "polishing" that needs to be done, particularly in the last half of the book, for which I have been working hard just to get the contents written, but the "creative" part is complete, and for the most part, what remains to be done is, more or less, the "mechanical" part.

So, what happens now? Well, first of all, while I am working on refining the manuscript, I am going to start contacting publishers in the self-publishing industry. It makes no sense to me to try to publish anything, particularly with such a limited audience, through what are commonly referred to as "conventional publishing channels", not to mention subjecting myself to another long and tedious process with conventional publishing, causing further delay in getting my message out to the RV community. As I mentioned in my earlier post ("So, how’s the book coming", September, 2007), I am particularly considering one secular publishing house that seemed to be an answer to prayer. There are also second and third choices that I will consider.

Next, I will have the "final" manuscript copy-edited by a professional editor. Most self-publishing firms have them in-house. Then I will make whatever changes are necessary as a result of that editorial review. This will give me a final draft that I will send on to the publisher.

As for a time frame, I want to have the final draft ready for the editor before my friends start leaving here, so we can have a time of prayer over the manuscript before I send it to the editor. The editorial process should take a month or two, and the publishing process two or three months beyond that. So some time after the first of the year, I should have finished books in my hand to sell. My current plan is to get a table at some of the many RV park flea markets and begin selling it at these. And then there are all of these friends and supporters who have been waiting so long, who will also help me to get it out into the RV community as well.

And now the bad news! I wish that I could give a free copy of the book to everyone. I will probably give a few as gifts to some select friends and relatives, but I do have considerable expenses that I will need to re-coup, so I am afraid that I will have to sell it, rather than give it away. I will have more details about this when the time comes, but most publishers say that a book of this size (200-250 pages) will sell for about $20 to $25, so start saving your pennies.

Below is the latest listing of the chapters. As before, in italics beside the chapter title is a brief explanation of the contents of the chapter.

GOING FORTH IN THE NAME
The Full-Time RVers’ Guide to Living the Christian Life on the Road
By Glenn Rivers

I. A New Phenomenon
An introduction to what it means to be a Christian in the full-time RV lifestyle.

II. "Following the Son" A Life in the Spirit
What it means to follow the Holy Spirit

III. What is "The Church?"
A brief theology of the concept of the "Universal" Church

IV. What is "A Church?"
The nature and functions of the local Church

V. Selecting a Local Church
Staying connected to the Body of Christ while on the road

VI. Bible Reading and Bible Study
Self-explanatory

VII. Prayer
Self-explanatory

VIII. Christian Literature
Self-explanatory

IX. Praise
The necessity of praising God

X. Stewardship; Part A, Whole-Life Stewardship
Everything we have belongs to God

XI. Stewardship; Part B, Giving of Tithes and Offerings
Self-explanatory

XII. Stewardship; Part C, Ministry
Everyone has one, what is yours?

XIII. The "Fishbowl" Lifestyle
In summary, living your life before the world

Appendices:

i. A one-year daily Bible reading plan for beginners, and re-beginners.

ii. A note to my Catholic friends
Let me say at this time how much I continue to appreciate your prayers and support. The enthusiasm and encouragement that I have received from all of you has been used by God to keep me going. Without you, and without Him, I could not have done this. I appreciate each and everyone who has prayed for and encouraged me throughout this difficult but exciting chapter in my life. In Christ, the best is always yet to come!

Thanks for your support, and thanks for sharing this moment with me today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE ARE EXCITED FOR YOU!!! IT'S GREAT TO HAVE A FRIEND THAT WRITES SOMETHING GOOD FOR R-V-ERS..

9/24/2008 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home